What is the IWC?
- The 1st International Wheat Congress will be held in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada from July 21st to 26th, 2019. The Congress venue will be at TCU Place, a world class facility in the heart of Saskatoon’s vibrant downtown.
- This will be the first meeting of its kind and will include a balanced program encompassing all areas of wheat research, including joint plenary sessions and concurrent sessions tailored to focus on specific disciplines. All plenary sessions will be streamed live on the web and social media platforms. Approximately 100 speakers will be presenting throughout the week’s events.
- Events include poster presentation, oral presentation sessions, field tours, cultural activities, as well as many social events for networking. This will be the premiere networking event for those working in the wheat industry.
- One of the top priorities of the IWC is giving back to local organizations and to the scientific community. A portion of each registration fee will be used to sponsor scientists from developing nations by reimbursing them for registration and travel costs.
- The recipient of a new ‘Rising Star’ award will present one of the plenary lectures. The individual selected for this prestigious award will be an early career scientist who has demonstrated exceptional contributions to wheat research.
How is the IWC run?
- The Local Organizing Committee has been established and consists of 17 members which represent scientific, organizational and gender diversity. Members are located across Saskatchewan and Alberta and meet monthly.
- One of the guiding principles of the local organizing committee is to promote diversity by ensuring gender, geographic and ethnic diversity of speakers, and to facilitate the development of students, early career scientists, and scientists from developing countries.
- The International Organizing Committee is made of 16 individuals representing different wheat growing countries and are in charge of creating the scientific program.
- Approximately 800 to 1,000 participants from around the country and the world are anticipated to attend the congress. We are estimating 80% of attendees to be international delegates.
- Subsequent meetings will be held every 2 years. The host city for the 2nd International Wheat Congress will be announced at the meeting.
How You Can Help
Monetary contributions include donations to our operating budget and fully underwriting any of the congress budget expenses. Selections for specific sponsorship items are listed on Form 1 of the sponsorship confirmation.